Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Winter has come!

I returned to a Russian winter in half-swing, which promptly kicked itself up into full-swing, just as I finished unpacking my suitcase. My moustache freezes from every time i hit the street, the moisture from my nasal exhalations collecting on the frozen whiskers. The stray cats are bountiful in this city, and I always wondered how they could possibly survive in such a climate, come winter. One night I spied the secret of their survival.The floodlights that illuminate the arches of the Kazan Cathedral also provide the nightwarmth that keeps the streetcats of Russia alive. They huddle here and wait for the sun.In addition to keeping the cats alive, the lights to create a handsome sight when one (huddled in scarf and coat) approaches the cathedral. Essential and proper winter attire. One must be prepared for the elements. I will be back in Texas in March for my brother's wedding. Until then, my love to you all, and keep warm!

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela O. said...

I love the cat photo; they are smart animals. I had to say good-bye to my cat, Hamilton, last week. He was my ultra cool cat. He was the alpha animal of the house and the outside territory.

Keep warm and maybe we'll see you in March

Lauren went to your old stomping grounds this weekend (Waxahachie sp?).

2/02/2007 11:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i realized last time i didnt leave an e-mail
jem269@nau.edu
cause u want any those pics from the pub crawl

6/05/2007 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger WeAreWere said...

i can't stop staring at the photo of the cats. Really interesting photos and stories all around.

10/27/2008 12:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

11/11/2008 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home